With Cedar City warming up, there are countless outdoor adventures waiting to happen. Whether you choose to take another ski trip before the snow melts or want to try out rock climbing, you are going to need the right equipment.
Luckily, there are a few resources around town to provide whatever gear you might need for your next adventure at a cost that won’t break your college bank account.
SUU Outdoors offers guided trips for students to attend, but they are also a perfect place to go for equipment rentals. Whether it’s snowboarding, river rafting or even a day at the lake, SUU Outdoors has almost everything you could need.
All rentals are secured with a deposit equal to the full cost of the item and require a credit or debit card for reservation and pick-up. SUU students receive 25 percent off all items, so be sure to bring your student ID card. Students are not charged for the days SUU Outdoor Center is closed, making weekend trips even more affordable.
SUU Outdoors’ rental list includes, but is not limited to (in order of greatest availability):
- Camping equipment (tents, hammocks, sleeping pads, backpacks, camping chairs, etc.)
- Kitchen supplies (dutch ovens, water filters, coleman grills, coolers, etc.)
- Snow gear (snowboard packages, snowshoes, sleds, gaiters, etc.)
- Vertical equipment (harnesses, climbing shoes, bouldering crash pads, etc.)
- Lawn games (volleyball, slacklines, croquet, spikeball, cornhole, disk golf, etc.)
- Water equipment (rafts, kayaks, paddle boards, dry bags, wetsuits, etc.)
For a complete list of SUU Outdoors’ rental items and prices, visit suu.edu/outdoors/outdoors-center or stop by Basecamp, located in the Sharwan Smith Student Center, next to Chick-fil-a.
Basecamp and The Garage are open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.- 6 p.m. For more information, call SUU Outdoors at 435-865-8704.
Cedar Sports has a wide variety of brands to choose from, guaranteeing you the equipment that is best for your trip. With prices similar to SUU Outdoors, Cedar Sports is an excellent place to visit for outdoor gear and rentals.
Rentals are priced for a 24-hour period per payment. Special pricing is also offered for multi-day activities and large groups, like club events or family parties.
Cedar Sports’ rental list includes, but is not limited to:
- Tandem, cruiser or mountain bikes
- Water equipment (paddle board packages, kayak packages, river rafting packages, etc.)
- Vertical equipment (harnesses, climbing shoes, rappel devices, carabiners, etc.)
- Camping supplies (backpacks, sleeping bags, backpacking stoves, tents, tarps, etc.)
- Lawn games (slacklines, disc golf, bocci ball, croquet, horseshoes, ladder ball, etc.)
- Snow gear (ski and snowboard packages, full-body clothing, cross-country packages, snowshoes, etc.)
In addition to affordable rentals, Cedar Sports also offers full service bike and snow gear maintenance. Bike repairs include basic tune-ups, wheel truing and brake servicing. Snowboards and skis can be brought in for binding adjustments, wax treatments or even P-Tex gash repairs.
For a complete list of Cedar Sports’ rental items and prices, visit cedarsportsshop.com or go to their store front, at 97 W Center Street. For more information, call 435-586-5651.
Regardless of the planned activity, both SUU Outdoors and Cedar Sports are dedicated to helping students discover their passion and truly become #OutsideTbirds.
Story By: Ansleigh Mikesell
Photos By: Mitchell Quartz