Dorm rooms are small and there is never quite enough space for all the things you want to bring from home, especially when you are sharing with someone you’ve never met before.
While it is easy to leave the decorations by the wayside in order to use all the space for your school stuff, you don’t have to. Or maybe you’re more concerned about how pricey decorations are, I mean $15 for one decorative pillow is completely outrageous! But worry not, we’ve got your back. There are many ways in which you can ditch the clutter and make your dorm room the coolest one on the floor without blowing your grocery budget.
1. Love the look of decorative pillows but can’t bring yourself to look at the price tag? Instead, buy a plain pillow and then hit up the craft store for some fabric markers or paint!
Photo credit: tadaskookykitchen.com
Draw the designs using the markers, or if you don’t trust your hands to stay steady there is a whole wide world of stamps! But you could also just go make friends with the art major down the hall as well, they would probably be glad to show off their skills.
2. Are you sick of the plain, boring white walls that you have nothing to cover with? You can buy posters at your local store, or if you’re feeling creative, print your own posters at your campus print shop and then use painters tape to tack them up. Then use washi tape in fun colors or designs to create unique frames around them!
Photo Credit: designsponge.com
3. No room for a tv? Create your own DIY projector using your smartphone, a shoe box and a magnifying glass! Learn how to make it here.
Photo credit: photojojo.com
4. Keep things simple and place some decorative paper in a frame and accent using twinkle lights.
Photo credit: Aubriel Koehler
5. On the subject of keeping things simple, make your life easy and combine fashion and function with those cute cloth drawers. Then use the rest of your fabric paint to give them that special touch, storage on the cute side.
Just remember, you have options and while you will spend the semester studying your brains out, there are no rules against having a little fun along the way.
Story by: Alexis J. Taylor
Photos by: Erin Mahoney, tadaskookykitchen.com, designsponge.com, photojojo.com, Aubriel Koehler, http://homes.ninemsn.com.au/blog.aspx?blogentryid=1095663&showcomments=true