The Thunderbird women’s tennis team completed a clean sweep of UC Irvine on Friday in California, knocking off the Anteaters 7-0.
This marks the first time since the 2015 season that the Thunderbirds have swept any opponent (Dixie State; 9-0). It is also the first time the program has swept a Division I opponent since Western Illinois in 2012 (6-0).
Ghita Nassik was able to glide to a 6-2, 6-2 victory in the No. 1 spot, knocking off Stephanie Hazell.
The No. 4 through No. 6 spots in singles all went three sets, but all went Southern Utah’s way as Charity Sagiao, Daniela Cozzi and Mikala Lowrance all picked up three-set victories.
Words From Coach Ketmayura
On picking up the sweep in California…
“We made some changes in doubles and the girls have been very open to it,” SUU head coach Rose Ketmayura said. “The change paid off and it’s our first doubles point of the season. UC Irvine is a good team. They beat Idaho State and Bradley. We played phenomenal and with a lot of confidence. The doubles point was really huge. I’m really proud of how our team has bounced back, stepped up and found our groove. I am hoping we can carry this confidence into the rest of our remaining conference matches.”
The next time the Thunderbirds compete will be March 25 when they’ll travel to Portland State to take on the Vikings. Following that match, the Thunderbirds will have six consecutive matches in Cedar City against various Big Sky Conference foes.
Read all about the Thunderbirds sports on www.suutbirds.com.
Southern Utah 7, UC Irvine 0
1. Mikala Lowrance/Ghita Nassik (SUU) def. Yulin Chen/Stephanie Hazell (UCI) 6-4
2. Zoe Tanti/Eira Tobrand (SUU) vs. Flora Amiri/Arianna Tilbury (UCI) 4-5, unfinished
3. Laura Martin Lozano/Daniela Cozzi (SUU) def. Gillian Parker/Stephanie Nguyen (UCI) 6-0
1. Ghita Nassik (SUU) def. Stephanie Hazell (UCI) 6-2, 6-2
2. Zoe Tanti (SUU) def. Stephanie Nguyen (UCI) 6-3, 6-4
3. Eira Tobrand (SUU) def. Flora Amiri (UCI) 6-3, 7-6 (8-6)
4. Charity Sagiao (SUU) def. Yulin Chen (UCI) 6-3, 2-6, 10-7
5. Daniela Cozzi (SUU) def. Arianna Tilbury (UCI) 6-7 (6-8), 6-3, 10-7
6. Mikala Lowrance (SUU) def. Jacqueline Tsodikova (UCI) 6-2, 7-6 (7-5), 1-1
SUU Athletics Strategic Communications